Favorite Tweet from this week: Overheard at work: “AT&T to wed T-Mobile. Following the ceremony, there will be no reception.”
I finally caved and bought a new cell phone this week. The old Blackberry was ready to retire. My new choice? *drum-roll please* …the new HTC Thunderbolt on Verizon. Here are my thoughts so far:
1. Fast: this is Verizon’s first 4G phone on their new LTE network. It’s faster than my laptop at loading web pages.
2. Mobile Hotspot: it can serve as a mobile Hotspot for up to five devices. One of my partners is quick to point out that I don’t have five devices but it’s still cool. If you need a wifi connection, I’m your guy.
3. Video Chat: it’s got a high resolution rear camera and a front facing camera for video Skype calls…haven’t tried that one out yet.
4. Predictive traffic: Google has a service that looks at traffic patterns and tells you the right route to take. That’s met with mixed results. This morning, it estimated my drive time and was off by 12 minutes on a 30 minute commute. Perhaps it’ll get better over time. It’s still better than most GPS products I’ve seen.
5. Social Networking: Facebook and Twitter feeds come together seamlessly in a single stream…very nice.
6. Apps: with yesterday’s addition of Amazon’s app store, there are plenty of cool add-ons for every interest. I’m going easy on those because I’ve seen recent research that 70% of apps aren’t used more than a week after they’re downloaded.
7. Battery life: very short at 4 hours. I’d definitely get the car charger if you plan to use it for GPS.
This phone is Android’s answer to the Iphone and it rocks! I’ll skip bringing my laptop on my next business trip. I’d also skip buying Ipad if I were you.
Eastward Capital Partners
432 Cherry Street
West Newton, MA 02465
o: (617) 762-3611
c: (617) 947-6272
Eastward Capital Partners – providing $1 – 10 million venture debt, growth capital and equipment financing to venture-backed, emerging growth companies since 1994. We also provide expansion capital to non venture backed companies.